Make Thanksgiving Meaningful
November 17, 2022
When you’re gathered around the Thanksgiving table with loved ones this year, you have the opportunity to share your values and hopes for the next generation. Do you want them to follow their dreams? Give back to those less fortunate? Take care of each other?
Thanksgiving conversations can be what you make of them. We share discussion ideas to help you deepen bonds and guide your legacy.
- Share something meaningful you’ve done with your money. This can inspire conversations about building a business, taking memorable vacations, or giving back (and specific charitable organizations you’d like to support).
- Describe what success means to you. For some people, success is about financial security, but for others, it could be about being a leader in the community or achieving something personally meaningful (such as running a marathon).
- Talk about a failure you experienced and what you did to overcome it. This topic can be important for the younger generation to hear. They may see you as successful without understanding how you got where you are today or challenges you had to surmount.
- Discuss your greatest accomplishment. Your children and grandchildren may be surprised to learn you used to have a fear of public speaking, went backpacking around Europe as a teenager, or defended a schoolmate who was being bullied. Thanksgiving is a great time to share our fondest memories.
- Thank someone, even if they are not sitting around your table. Inspire a thankful mindset by taking a moment to acknowledge someone who cared for you during an illness, taught you something meaningful, or did something to make you smile. An attitude of gratitude can be good for your health!
Washington Trust Wealth Helps You Plan Your Legacy
Providing for loved ones goes beyond passing down financial wealth. How will your family use the assets you leave them? As you gather around the table enjoying your favorite holiday fare, why not take the opportunity to start conversations that can make your holiday more meaningful?
Your Washington Trust Wealth Advisor helps you create an estate plan and a legacy that makes you proud.
Not yet working with a Washington Trust Wealth Advisor? Please contact us to learn more!
Connect with a wealth advisor
No matter where you are in life, we can help. Get started with one of our experts today. Contact us at 800-582-1076 or submit an online form.
This material is presented for informational purposes, and nothing herein constitutes legal, accounting, or tax advice. Please consult with an attorney or tax professional regarding your specific financial, legal or tax situation.
The views expressed here are those of Washington Trust Wealth Management and are subject to change based on market and other conditions. Investment recommendations and opinions expressed in these reports may change without prior notice. All material has been obtained from sources believed to be reliable, but its accuracy is not guaranteed.